Monday, April 7, 2008

Grandma's Garden

Grandma Dunn was a hard worker. She not only had one garden, she had two. The second one was close to the chicken coop. It was on the north west side of the garage. The year that Grandma died, her currant bushes died. She had a row of them by the kitchen door and some in the second garden. They also had a cow corral on the West of the property. Grandpa milked cows until after Grandma died. Donnie used to help him milk. Grandma and Grandpa gave us a great example of hard work and thrift.

5 comments:

Larry said...

I vaguely remember Donnie going to milk the cows at Grandpa Dunn's.

Kent said...

I also remember Donnie milking cows for Shelton Sowards next to us in Manassa. I remember that Donnie was milking the cows when Doris and Verden lived in Grandma and Grandpa's house.

I have heard that Grandpa was not as patient with the animals as he was with people.

Kent said...

I remember stories of Grandma Dunn and her tomato soup. She would make a batch of tomatoe soup and when someone new would show up, she would add another cup of water. They have said that her tomato soup was sometimes weak, but the hospitality in their home never was.

Unknown said...

Grandma Dunn's tomato soup was always very good. She made it with milk and some people didn't like it as diluted as she made it but I liked it better than most soups. She was a good cook.

Larry said...

I like tomato soup. We do not have it often. I am sure it has been measured in decades between times.