Friday, January 23, 2009

Kitchen Memories

Great Grandmother Dunn's kitchen my heart had won
Rutabagas, parsnips and currents were not uncommon,
And tomato soup was a favorite dish.
Nice smells tempted me. How for a taste I'd wish!
Danish dishes, vegetables, cakes, sauces and pies,
Mashed potatoes and gravy and canning supplies,
Aromatic peppermint, candled eggs, and a pantry of jars
Showed the fruit from her garden. She worked their for hours.

Sweet treats occasionally came from her stove.
Unto us, little tastes she'd give with her love.
Great smells of cinnamon and spice
Arose from her counter and smelled so nice!
Reaching for a sample was such a temptation
Caution sometimes lost with no thought of correction.
Our sweet Grandma would wink and then she'd grin.
Other times, though her patience was thin.
Kitchen memories are the strongest to me now when
In this aging brain I turn to childhood again.
Every memory now is kept in a nook,
Stored there with love by a wonderful cook.

6 comments:

Larry said...

What is a sugarpookie?

Larry said...

Good are the memories you did invoke,
Right after reading what your pen strokes.
After thinking about our great grandma,
Near the surface came thoughts of grandpa
Dear old grandpa lived to a grand old age,
Part of his character made him a wise sage.
Auto supplies he sold at CCG&O
Shop at grandpas garage was long long ago.

Great was the building holding the wares,
Aunt and uncle I remember coming there
Ripe with desire for gasoline or air
Able to change tires and fix or replace
Going to work did I at that same place
End of the poem came, I ran out of space!

Larry said...

I have been waiting for someone to post so I could leave a one-line comment.

Kent said...

A sugarpookie is an innocent child's wonderful memory.

This child has corrected his poem.

Unknown said...

It is good today to get some new thoughts. I enjoy every statement. Thanks for the blog and the love.

Larry said...

I want some sugarpookies!