Sunday, January 27, 2008

Welcome

Following Larry's example with his family blog, I thought it would be a nice thing to do to start a blog for our extended family. I started one for my parents, Arlo and Gatha Vance, and one for my grandparents, Ted and Cora Bingham.

I have enjoyed communicating with members of the family through these blogs, there there is another group I would like to reach. Simeon Harmon and Annie Bueletta Dunn, my great grandparents, were the only grandparents I remember. They loved us and taught us and are an important part of my life.

My fondest memories are those of our thanksgiving dinners in Manassa at their home, and at the home of their children in Manassa; Edgar and LaVeryl Dunn, Boyd and Elma Pagett, and Verden and Doris Mortensen. I don't remember ever having a dinner at the homes of Hazel, Ethel, Ina, Loyd or Rex, but they are their families were certainly part of those gatherings.

The years have taken us to different locations and as our families have grown apart. I yearn for an attachment to my family again and ask your help in helping me open the communication between us again.

I have created this blog as an avenue for us to share our memories, lives, and our love. It will be an open post and we welcome posts and comments from any family member who would choose to make entries. My list of email addresses is sadly incomplete. I would appreciate it if you would help me with any email addresses so that I can be sure to invite everyone in the family. If you want to be an author on the Blog, but don’t want your email visible to the world, just send me an email (rkentvance@gmail.com) and I’ll send you an invitation to be a member of the blog.

9 comments:

Gloria said...

and the arms are reaching out, the circle is becoming larger! such love!

Kent said...

I can't decide if it's love or loneliness. I really want to reconnect with my family. I have isolated myself from everyone for years and I want to feel like I'm part of the family again.

Laraine said...

Hi Kent,
Thanks for creating these blogs. I also want to reconnect with my family. Can you name the people in each picture? I have been away too long (Or I am too young!)
Thanks,
Laraine

Betty Ann said...

This blogging is actually a blessing for all the family. Momsy, it is fun to hear all the stories in your family

Kent said...

I have to get to work this morning, and we are in the process of moving. I'll create a list of the people that are in the picture in the header as soon I get a chance. I am in the back row in my dad's arms. I was just a little guy.

Larry said...

Have you come to a conclusion as to who all the people in the photograph are?

Laraine said...

Larry, this week I found a copy of the Dunn family picture with all of the names written on the
back. The note on the back says it was taken in Sept 1950 and my parents
were not there. That is the month I was born.
Thanks for starting this. I have some pictures to post and some other things when I figure out how to do it.

Kent said...

Laraine, It is exciting that you have a listing of all the people on the picture. I would love to compare it to my memory.

If you need help with posting or publishing pictures, I'll be happy to help you.

We are looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

Larry said...

What is love? Jeanette had a simple definition posted on the bathroom mirror for a while.

Love -- genuine concern for the welfare of another.

I believe it is a good rule to determine if you do love someone.