Sunday, October 5, 2008

Elma Dunn Pagett


Elma was the ninth child of Simeon Harmon Dunn and Anna Jensen Dunn. She grew up in Manassa and graduated from Manassa High School. She then attended Blair's Business College in Colorado Springs for one year. Elma met Boyd William Pagett in the summer of 1935 when they were both working for Rickett's cannery in LaJara, Colorado. They were married in December of that year and moved to Fort Morgan, Colorado.
Boyd and Elma lived in Fort Morgan, Denver, LaJara, Grand Junction, and finally made a permanent home in Manassa. Boyd joined the Navy 10 July 1944 and served until 23 January 1946. Boyd and Elma were the parents of two children, JoAnn and Richard when Boyd joined the Navy. Elma stayed in Manassa with Elma's parents most of the time while Boyd was gone. They did join him in Port Townsend, Washington, while Boyd was in electrical school in Seattle. Boyd was sent to the Phillippine Islands and Elma and the children returned to Manassa. After the war, Boyd returned to Manassa and purchased Conejos county Gas & oil from his father-in-law, Simeon Harmon Dunn. He ran this business until his death.

Boyd was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 4 June 1960 by his son Richard. Their youngest child, Nancy was baptized the same day by her brother, Richard. Jane, Patricia (Pat), and Nancy also joined the family during the years in Manassa. Boyd and Elma were sealed for time and all eternity in the Arizona Temple on 2 April 1966. Jane, Patricia, and Nancy were sealed to them the same day. Richard was sealed to his parents in the Manti Temple on 28 May 1964 and JoAnn was sealed to her parents in the Arizona Temple on 2 April 1966.




Boyd died of a massive heart attack on 10 Dec 1964. Elma then attended Adams State College and obtained both a B.A. and M.A. Degree in education. She taught both third and fourth grade in Manassa for sixteen years and retired in May 1982. Elma served a fill-time mission in the Washington, Seattle Mission from April 1983 to April 1984. Her sister, Hazel served in the same mission at the same time. Elma has also worked in the Spanish Name Extraction Program and has spent years working with the youth of the church. He has been in the Name Extraction Program for ten years and has been an ordinance worker in the Denver temple for four years.1

Of all my aunts, Elma had the most impact on my life. For most of my youth, she was my next door neighbor. I loved visiting with her and many times, when I had problems that I needed to discuss, Elma was my confidant. She listened to me patiently and gave me advice that I valued. Sometimes I followed her advice, and sometimes I did not. I would have been much wiser to always follow the advice she gave me. Nonetheless, I never questioned that she loved me or that she was concerned for my welfare. When I was a young man and was so unhappy with my life because of the choices I had made, Elma still expressed her love and support.

My grandmother, Cora, was Elma's sister. I never knew Grandma Cora because she died before I was born. In my mind and heart, Elma took her place in my life. I will always love her for that.

Whenever I came home from travelling, one of the first visits I made was to Aunt Elma's house.

It was really a shock to me when I heard that Elma had passed away 20 March 1998. She had been quilting with her sisters. She was tired and laid down to take a nap. She passed away in her sleep.

1. The first part of this article was taken directly from A History of the Ancestors and Descendants of Simeon Harmon Dunn and Anna Buletta Jensen, Compiled by Vera Dunn Olivier and published privately in June 1993.
2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Family Search, Elma Dunn 1917-1998, Person #KWCG-B28

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Elma had a great impact on my life, too. She was my aunt and dear friend. We spent many hours together. I love all of my aunts and uncles.

Kent said...

So tell me something about Elma, that I might not know......

Unknown said...

I don't know if I can tell you something about Elma that You do not know. One time she said to me, "do I look like "Dear Abby"? I said to her, "You ask questions, You are interested in people so they confide in you." She really did listen when one talked.

Kent said...

Elma used to get really frustrated with me. She would give me things and before you know it, I had it taken apart to see how it worked. More often than not, I couldn't get it put back together again.

Larry said...

One day I was playing with my new bow and arrow set. I managed to land one of my arrows on the roof of the house. I went up into the attic through the hole in the ceiling above the sink. I would stand on the chest in the bathroom and push open the hatch and hoist myself up into the attic. I went to the window on the front dormer and out onto the roof. I retrieved my arrow and reversed the process. By the time I was in the living room my mother informed me that Elma just notified her that I was on the roof.

Lindsey said...

I loved my grandma! I wish she could've been around longer while we were adults. I remember when I was a kid that she used to eat orange peels and I always thought that was very gross. Correction on the year she passed away. It was 1998 not 1988.

Kent said...

Thank you Lindsey, for helping me correct my errors. I went in to fix it and someone had beat me to it.

I like orange peels too. I think I learned that from her.

Unknown said...

I just found this blog and I love reading some of these things. I was just a kid when my grandma passed away but I still can remember so much -- her smile, her laugh, and every now and then her bark. She usually had some goodies laying around whether it was a bowl of skittles, an iced cold pepsi in the fridge, or her drawer of s'more stuff. She made the best root beer I've ever had. She was the kindest person I've ever known and I know she impacted a lot of people. I sure miss her!