Saturday, October 11, 2008

Quality of teaching in this century


Grandpa Dunn was a school teacher at one time in his life. Several of his children and grandchildren have also worked in the field of education.

Recently, I received an e-mail citing a test that was given to 8th graders in 1895, and stating that the education in this country had gotten quite bad.

I spent the evening reviewing the questions and finding answers on the internet just so that I could say that I knew as much as an eighth grader. I was amazed at the amount of information that is available to us at the click of a few buttons. While I found many things, that I could not answer quickly, I did find answers for many of the questions. Many of the answers were things that I had learned, but had forgotten for a time.

After spending an evening with the test (I still have more to do to complete it), I have come to the conclusion that some of the things asked on the 1895 test were important at the end of the 1800's, but are not as important to life in the 21st century.

I am amazed at the things that my grandchildren are learning in school. Some of the math skills of my seventh grade grandson are far beyond what mine were at the same level. I am also amazed at the "keyboading" skills and computer skills that are being taught at seventh and even at first grade level.

I am enjoying looking at this test example and what students were required to learn. I have learned from the article, but I think it is important to see that educational requirements are not the same as they were in the 1890s. That is not necessarily an indication that today's educational system is deficient. It is proof only that it is different.

If you are interested, you can see a completed version of the 1895 test, it is also available on the internet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Knowledge seems to be necessary for the time we live in. My Dad was smart about many things that we did not learn in school. H had gone through the school of hard knocks. He was on his own at an early age, because his parents had died by time he wad 9 years old. The things that the children learn in school now is amazing to me. I don't think I could pass a test for completion of High School. I see little children being so smart about computer and electronic things. We live in a different age than when I was born 80 years ago.

Larry said...

I am convinced that the education system in our country could be improved, but that the material that is taught is in general more advanced than what was taught in the early 1900's.

Kent said...

I agree, Larry. The education system in our country could be improved. That is always the case. I miss my involvement with education.

The choices in my life have taken me down a different path.