Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Grandmother Clock

One of my fondest memories of Grandma and Grandpa Dunn's home was the grandmother clock that stood on a shelf in the kitchen. I believe that is why I love listening to a clock tick to this day.

Grandpa Dunn used to sing a song, "The Grandfather Clock". I would love to find a recording of that song.

I have heard it said that when their children were coming home late at night, grandma was ask them to stop the clock with the pretext that the noise was bothering her. What she was doing was having them stop the clock so she would know what time they were coming home.

I understand too, that when Grandma would ask one of the boys when they came in late at night what time it was. They would respond, "It's plenty after twelve."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That clock was always on the
South wall of the kitchen, on the left side of the stove. I too loved that old clock. Allen Forsyth has the clock now.

Larry said...

I have always hated hearing a ticking and chiming clock during the night.

Kent said...

I know you have a low tolerance for nocturnal noise. Luckily the clock in our home has a switch in the back where we can turn the chimes off. If we know a week ahead that you are coming, we will be happy to "forget" to wind it.

When I was in Vietnam, I always had a radio going because it helped mask the noise of the hustle and bustle of a community that never slept. I still like soft music in the background. Betty is like you. She likes silence.

Andrea said...

I honestly never really liked the chimes of the clock during the day or night as a child. As an adult it is different, but I remember always wanting to end the clocks life!

Glad I didn't! :D

Kent said...

The clock we had when you were a little girl died many years ago. The one we have now came from Germany and belonged to Grandma Wagner.

Next time you come to visit, I'll show you how to turn the chimes off.

Larry said...

I can show you how to turn off the chimes.