Saturday, September 20, 2008

Edgar Harmon Dunn

Edgar was born shortly after the family of Simeon and Anna Dunn moved from Eastdale to Manassa. He was born in the granary. When I was a boy, we played in that granary. It was an empty shed of weathered wood with gaps wide enough for the wind to come through easily. I cannot imagine living in that granary during one of the cold San Luis Valley winters.
Edgar attended school in LaJara and Manassa was a star on the Manassa Maulers basketball team.
Edgar married LaVeryl Aydelotte on April t 1936 in Taos New Mexico. They were later sealed in the Mesa, Arizona Temple on December 7, 1955.
After his marriage, Edgar farmed with his brother, Loyd, on the family farm west of Romeo. On March 3, 1940, he was called on a mission to the North Central States Mission. After his misson, he farmed for a short time and then was hired as a carman on the D&RGW Railroad in Alamosa in 1942. Edgar went into train service as a fireman and worked up to head engineer. He retired from the railroad in July 1974, with 32 years of service.
When I was is high school, Edgar was my home teaching companion. Edgar was a faithful home teacher and I enjoyed going home teaching with him. We visited the homes of Ruth and Stanley Holman and Gordy and Ruth Bagwell each month. I enjoyed being with him. I loved his infectious laugh.
In September, 1974, only two months after retirement, Edgar and LaVeryl were called to serve 18 months on a walfre mission among the Indians in Taos, New Mexico.
Edgar died suddenly of a hart attack on 09 September 1978 at the age of 68. Edgar is buried in Manassa.

Portions of this article were taken from A History of the Ancestors and Descendants of Simeon Harmon Dunn and Anna Buletta Jensen compiled by Vera Dunn Oliver, published privately in June of 1993.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kent, I appreciate the posts you have done about my aunts and uncle.

The years go by and I hardly remember them. I love the blog. Thank you.

Kent said...

How about remembering something that we may not know about our aunts and uncles and let us know. It's always fun to find out something that we didn't know.

Larry said...

Edgar and LaVerl were mainstays in the Manassa area. I did enjoy riding Edgar's horses.

Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Erik Dunn. I am Richard and Susan Dunns' oldest son, and I was wondering if there is any way to get a hold of the book compiled by Vera Dunn Oliver. You can email me if you want at erik@av8rdunn.com. Thanks

Larry said...

Erik,

Send me an e-mail and I will get you in touch with Vera.

LarryAVance 'at' hot.rr.com